Our Nauticalia replica classic survey compass is a remarkable instrument and tribute to a great engineer.
The solid polished gun-metal casing opens to reveal a folding sight, spirit levels and measuring gauges, with a sighting
mirror on the inside of the lid. Supplied in an antiqued leather case with stitched seams and brass strap fastening.
Measures 3½x3x1½". weighs 1½-lb.
D.W. Brunton was a mining engineer in Colorado, USA, when he took out the patent for his versatile new boxed altazimuth dry compass in 1894.
Within four years he was able to claim it was "in use in every country from Australia to Alaska". Ideal for surveying unexplored terrains, surveyors mapped out new lands and territories and chartered coastlines carrying their compact Brunton's compasses in leather cases slung over their shoulders. It was used as a plumb, a hand-level, clinometer, sighting compass, prismatic compass and for obtaining horizontal and vertical angles, for preliminary surface surveying, topography, geological field work and reconnaissance.